Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post

All Forums
 archive
 2008 postings
 Changing jobs with same employer - tax code?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ade65 Posted - 07 December 2008 : 14:31:30
Hi,

I work for a university, and am currently on a fixed-term contract that is coming to an end. I'm in the redeployment phase now - so if I get a different job in a different department of the university, how does that affect the Nil Tax code? Does it stay as NT until the end of the tax year because I'm with the same overall employer, or would it be treated as a new job and put me back to a standard tax code?

Thanks,

Ade
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Needafriend Posted - 08 December 2008 : 20:58:13
Glad i could help Ade.

Jo
x

18 Weeks down

34 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
Ade65 Posted - 08 December 2008 : 18:37:47
Thanks, that extra info makes it clear - to me at least! - that a change within the Uni, even if it's a post I get not relating to redeployment, will still attract the NT code as it's from the same source.

Thanks,

Ade
JulianDonnelly Posted - 08 December 2008 : 15:56:40
Not at all ... keep up the great work!

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Needafriend Posted - 08 December 2008 : 15:22:55
Oooh i hope that was ok, i was not undermining you Julian. :-)

Jo
x

18 Weeks down

34 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
JulianDonnelly Posted - 08 December 2008 : 15:01:25
Thanks for the info Jo.

Julian Donnelly
Needafriend Posted - 08 December 2008 : 08:24:05
Hi Ade

I found this in the Insolvency guidelines:

77.23 Nil tax codes

HMRC issues a claim in the bankruptcy proceedings to cover the income tax due for the whole of the tax year in which the bankruptcy order is made, less the amount of tax paid and deducted up to the date of the bankruptcy order. A nil tax (NT) code is applied to the bankrupt for the remainder of the tax year post the bankruptcy date with the effect that he/she does not pay income tax for the rest of that tax year, and thus is in receipt of extra income.

If the bankrupt changes employer during the course of the tax year in which he/she is made bankrupt (which HMRC deems to be change in source of income), a new tax code will be issued, and the bankrupt will be required to pay tax on his/her earnings from the date of the change of employer. If the bankrupt has more than one source of income at the date of the bankruptcy order, the NT code will apply to all sources of income.

This extra income may be claimed by the official receiver under an Income Payments Agreement (IPA) or Income Payments Order (IPO.) When a nil tax IPA or IPO is obtained, the official receiver must send notification to the local tax office [note 3] with a copy of the bankrupt's tax disclosure form [note1] so that notification can be sent to the official receiver's collection agents when the NT code is notified to the bankrupt's employer.

It can take some time to implement the new tax code, and a refund of the tax paid between the bankruptcy order and the NT code being issued is payable in these circumstances. HMRC will automatically offer the refund to the official receiver or other trustee appointed. The official receiver must respond to the offer and forward a copy of the tax disclosure form [note 1] in order to claim the refund.

For more information on NT IPAs and IPOs see Chapter 31.7 Part 3 and Chapter 31.7 Part 7 - Income Payments Agreements and Income Payments Orders.

Jo
x

18 Weeks down
34 to go

Ade65 Posted - 08 December 2008 : 07:26:50
Thanks, I thought that may be the case but wasn't sure.

Ade
JulianDonnelly Posted - 07 December 2008 : 15:09:51
Hi Ade,

It is my understanding that you will remain on the NT tax code for the remainder of the financial year, even if you technically change employers.

Julian Donnelly

bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page