Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 My husband and I are going bankrupt,
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dido
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 04 January 2010 :  16:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband and I are going bankrupt, currenting being in rented home with 2 children for last three years having lost our own home in 07. We have never been in arrears. We have also over last four years been under a debt management scheme. Husband is a sole trader of an up-and-coming business and is doing well. However our past is catching up with us fast our old Mortgage lenders are now after us for over £20,000 plus our other debts too so are in debt to the sum total of over £50,000 and we are having to do what is necessary as we are sinking now. We are happily living in rented and have two children at home, one at college and one at junior school. We desperately don't want our Landlord to know that we are going bankrupt and I have heard that if you have a sympathetic OR this may not have to be divulged as long as your payments are proven. Also the CAB have advised that we will have to be put on Gas/Elec meters. The Landlord will definitely object to this and the worst thing of all, I know that all B/Rs are listed in the London Gazette, however after research, I notice that all bankrupts are listed on Google too because of their names being the in the LG!! I was astounded. Big brother seem to have you by the "short and curlies". Why not just by-pass the London Gazette and place everyone's name on Google anyway? Can one stop this? My husband's good name in his business will now be for the whole world to see not just in the LG. So when our prospective customers Google him for his wonderful references which have been posted, they will be faced with his Bankruptcy notice too!This is just not right and completely unfair. Its humiliating enough going bankrupt after years of struggle with being in the London Gazette and our local papers (which may or may not be perused by local customers) but to have our individual names enblazened on Google too is just beyond!

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 04 January 2010 :  17:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dido,

Welcome to the forum.

In short, yes BR is stressful, but not as stressful as continuing in debt! Think of that as a positive...

I was a one time very succesful businessman - that is until this year (May 2009 - last year!) I had borrowed too much and was left with no choice.

it is a long hard road to travel, but in my case, was the right one. It may be for you too - give it a lot of thought and seek advice - this forum is great!!

As to your landlord knowing, that is not necessary. If you can demonstrate that the rent is being paid, that should be enough and what can a landlord do anyway - he or she should not make any moral judgements - all he/she wants is a good tenant surely?

As to the London Gazette - who do you know that reads it? I only know a few pweople and they are in the world of insol;vency and accountants - other than that not many people - the same applies to Stubbs Gazette...

The local press do not normally publish these days - so someone may google your name...what about it - there is NO SHAME in being BR. There are more bankrupts today than ever before in history!

Think positive and I am sure everything will be fine - I have told people that I am BR and they say well, there but for the grace of God, go I...

Good luck and hold your head up high!, Richard

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and hero of mine!!)
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 04 January 2010 :  17:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only reason that you 'may' be able to stop your details being posted in the Gazette is if you had a job such as a social worker or maybe in the prison service, etc.

I remember someone posting here early last year when BRs were still posted in the local newspaper and they requested that their details were not printed as they were a social worker and if people found out their address it could put them in harms way.

Don't worry about Google and the Gazette, my name was only on Google for 1 day and has now disappeared in over 40k results.

You can request that the OR doesn't tell your landlord but their is no saying that they won't. If you provide them with a copy of the rental agreement and bank statements showing you are up to date with the rent then you 'may' be ok. A lot of landlords are normally ok with BRs provided you are up to date on rent and aren't wrecking the place. Do not underestimate how difficult it is for landlords to find decent, long-term, tenants.

I can't say for sure that you would need to install gas/elec meters as this would be up to the provider and would probably depend on whether you were up to date with the bills or not. Give them a call and let them know you are declaring BR and see if they need to install meters or not.
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 04 January 2010 :  17:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

Totally agree with gettingoutofdebt.

On the gas/electric meters - I do not think it is in any way compulsory - are you including them on your SOA as creditors? If not, they probably will never even know - I do not think the CAB were absolutly right there...

Good luck anyway, Richard

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and hero of mine!!)
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2010 :  21:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dido

I would not worry about google

I am on the insolvency register and London gazette, having read your entry I have googled myself (and my wife who went BR before i did)

I was very specific on my search criteria, my name BR and court i did not find myself on the first 6 pages of google and gave up looking.

The friends that matter to us are fully aware of our situation and true friends have rallied around with support, those that want to snigger at our misfortune perhaps were not real friends

hope this helps

regards Richard
Go to Top of Page

Dido
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2010 :  22:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Housing

Hi Dido,

Welcome to the forum.

In short, yes BR is stressful, but not as stressful as continuing in debt! Think of that as a positive...

I was a one time very succesful businessman - that is until this year (May 2009 - last year!) I had borrowed too much and was left with no choice.

it is a long hard road to travel, but in my case, was the right one. It may be for you too - give it a lot of thought and seek advice - this forum is great!!

As to your landlord knowing, that is not necessary. If you can demonstrate that the rent is being paid, that should be enough and what can a landlord do anyway - he or she should not make any moral judgements - all he/she wants is a good tenant surely?

As to the London Gazette - who do you know that reads it? I only know a few pweople and they are in the world of insol;vency and accountants - other than that not many people - the same applies to Stubbs Gazette...

The local press do not normally publish these days - so someone may google your name...what about it - there is NO SHAME in being BR. There are more bankrupts today than ever before in history!

Think positive and I am sure everything will be fine - I have told people that I am BR and they say well, there but for the grace of God, go I...

Good luck and hold your head up high!, Richard

Go to Top of Page

Dido
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2010 :  22:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your encouraging words. As you can see I have not quite got to grips with replying in the right places.
We have not quite started the ball rolling yet. At the moment we haven't even got the money together to actually go bankrupt but are actively working on it. Again, many thanks everyone and I will keep posting progress.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page