Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 housing
 Urgent - BR and employment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

carl

115 Posts

Posted - 27 September 2010 :  16:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all

I've been contacted by my manager today and asked to attend a meeting with my HR department on Thursday at 4.00pm. I asked what it was concening and my manager said he was not at liberty to say.

I am presuming that the IR have been in touch regarding my NT code or they have found out about my BR!!!)

I work for a Local Council and before declaring myself BR I asked for some genernal advice on here. Basically there is nothing in my employment contract,Job Description/Person Specification that says I cannot be BR and be employed to do my current role.

I've checked my application form/pack (10years old) and a current blank apllication form and no where on them does it ask if you have ever been declared BR and it does not state that you are not allowed to be employed if BR. I have even looked in the staff code of conduct handbook and again I could find nothing about BR

The only thing it mentions is about Criminal offences etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do at this meeting and is there anything that I may need to watch out for or even prepare myself for?

Is there anything I should say about BR or even more importantly shouldnt say.

Thak you all once again in advance.

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 27 September 2010 :  17:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could it be about something completely different perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 27 September 2010 :  18:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may just be a coincidence and nothing to do with your BR. Try to remain calm, the NT Tax Code is not only applied to people who are BR so your employer will not definitely know you are BR from the code.
Go to Top of Page

carl

115 Posts

Posted - 27 September 2010 :  18:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can honestly say hand on heart that I have done nothing wrong work wise to warrant a formal HR interview and I am only putting 2 and 2 together in guessing that it is something to do with my Tax Code/BR.

I guess I'm just after some advice with how to deal with this interview if it is concerning ny BR,
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 27 September 2010 :  18:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ARE you in a union? They would be my first port of call if so.
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 27 September 2010 :  18:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps they want to know if their is anything they can do to help - it has happened before
Go to Top of Page

carl

115 Posts

Posted - 27 September 2010 :  19:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not in a Union, I studied my employment contract, job description/person specification and the staff code of conduct at great detail before declaring myself BR and none of them mention anything about being declared BR or being a discharged BR.

The main thing that put my mind at rest was that the current job application form/pack makes no mention of being BR so in my mind if I did not work for the Council concerned I would be free to apply for any position I was qualified to do as an undeclared BR person or as a discharged BR person say in 12/18 months time and they would be none the wiser.

In my current job role I am not responsible for a budget or the management of staff. The only restriction on my job is that I can be dismissed if found guilty or charged with Criminal Conduct by either the Police or the Courts.
Go to Top of Page

Bigal4787
forum expert

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2010 :  10:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is your actual job?

Big Al
Go to Top of Page

carl

115 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2010 :  16:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Bigal

I am an Enforcement Officer for things like Fly Tipping and Fraud like Insurance Fraud and Benefit Fraud.

The onlt thing in my contract is about convicted of a Criminal offence.

Oh and the meeting was postponded until next week dur the the HR adviser being off sick

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2010 :  19:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see any problem with being an Enforcement Officer when you are BR so maybe it is just a general 'chat'?

The only other thing I can think of (not good) is that most Councils have to reduce their budget/workforce by 25% or so in the next few months

It's probably best to try not to think about it too much even though that won't be easy and just see what happens at the meeting.
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 02 October 2010 :  09:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did the meeting go, was it to do with your BR?
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 02 October 2010 :  09:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, just read meeting was postponed!
Go to Top of Page

Bigal4787
forum expert

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2010 :  00:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
This is the only extract I can gather in relation to bankruptcy and local government:

Local Government Act 1972, s. 80(1)(b):
“Subject to the provisions of section 81 below, a person shall be
disqualified for being elected or being a member of a local authority,
and be disqualified for being or being elected mayor, if he … (b) is the
subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order…”13

Therefore as it doesn't mention enforcement officers, I can't see how BR could affect your job.
Your contract doesn't mention anything about bankruptcy, only criminal offences, just keep the forum updated.

Big Al
Go to Top of Page

carl

115 Posts

Posted - 05 October 2010 :  14:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you once again Big Al

I've made a note of that and will take it along to my meeting this week.

Carl
Go to Top of Page

Crazee67

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2011 :  17:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, I know its been a long time since your post but I am really interested in hearing how everything went at your HR meeting.

Was the meeting about your BR or something else. I myself have been advised that BR is my only real solution and both myself and Hubby work in Local Gvt.

If anyone else has any advice, let me know, I could do with the low down on this issu. My contract does not say anything about BR so i think i may be ok. Fingers crossed though.

Crazee

Mine's a double
Go to Top of Page

carl

115 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2011 :  19:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Crazee67

Yes my meeting was about my BR and the Inland Revenue issuing me with my NT code. Basically as I found out with my Local Authority it all depends on your specific job role if declaring BR affects your position i.e if you work in finance or manage a budget then it would be frowned upon.

Make sure you check your Job description and person spec. I would check the staff code of conduct at your authority. I would also do an anonoymous tele call to your personnel dept for some general advice.

I argued the fact that if they dont ask if you have been declared BR in the past or are currently undischarged on the application form for employment and it makes no mention of it in my JD/PS then in my opinion I didnt have to declare it.

After a few meetings it was agreed it did not affect my employment and it turned more into a welfare meeting to ensure I didnt get stressed or ill because of it. To date i have had no problems employment wise and Im 6weeks off AD. It was all kept confidential and only two people at work know about my BR.

If you need any further info let me know.

Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

Carl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page