Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Is a dog classed as an asset saleable by the courts ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  18:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tracey - you would be amazed how many times they have been refused a taxi, entrance to a restaurant, pub etc. We keep telling them to complain.

As regards letting - I agree that not all pet owners are responsible but I'd get them to sign a disclaimer that any charges for damage caused by the pets would be met by the tenant.

Ascend may you find no resistance
Know that you made such a difference
All you leave behind will live to the end
The cycle of suffering goes on
But memories of you stay strong
Someday I too will fly and find you again

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  18:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niobe,
Reference pet tenancy, that's basically what I said to the OP.

However, you should realise that damage/redecorating may be far more than a deposit.
Which is why I said negotiating can be fruitful.

If I had a tenant who said he'd redecorate to pre tenancy standards Id be happy.
--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Professional advice should always be sought.

Edited by - year 2029 on 06 July 2012 18:32:54
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  18:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way I see it is, if you are looking for a rental property and see that the rules are 'no pets' then you will take it as such.

I certainly wouldn't be phoning a prospective landlord to see if they would make me an exception.

I'd be looking elsewhere.

If you are prepared to take pets under certain circumstances then surely you should put this in your letting info?

As regards the disclaimer - yes, any damage may be more than the deposit but perhaps you could either up the deposit or get them to agree to put right any damage at their expense before they move out.

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  18:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niobe, that's disgusting and possibly illegal. It would be worth checking the Disability Discrimination Act to find out if they can actually do that.

Regarding the redecorating - it would have to work both ways. The landlord would have to ensure any necessary work was done during the tenancy as well. OH's son's former landlord was only interested in the money - even when there was a problem with the electrics he wouldn't get it sorted and OH had to advise his son what to do over the phone!

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  19:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I can only say from personal experience, and have to say, as a landlord, some views that have been expressed on here have been slightly naive :-(

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  19:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never had to rent but, if I saw that it was 'no pets, no DSS' then I'd look elsewhere.

Our next door but one neighbour let out his house and is quite happy with pets - his first tenant actually improved the place at her own expense to make it good for her dog. The latest one has a lovely huge staffie cross!!

As regards the guide dog - we keep telling them to take the various taxi firms etc to court but they don't.

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  19:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never rented either and if I saw no pets I'd definitely go elsewhere! I'd live in a tent before I got rid of Harry.

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  21:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have let property.

I have had bad tenants, with and without pets.

Most expensive refurb of one property £12k.

Deposits don't cover it.

Courts don't cover it.

I've always put no pets, as the majority of landlords do.
However, as I said would be open to negotiation, as I'm sure other landlords would.

The easiest way, as I've said is for the tenant to redecorate (if required), to the same pre tenancy standard.

Tracey,
Tenancy agreements work both ways, and landlords have a responsibility to keep property to a certain standard for the quiet enjoyment of the tenant, obviously electrical repair falls into this category, and under no circumstance should the tenant (unless qualified, and with permission), have worked on a rented property.

I'm sure we can all recount various instances when things aren't done correctly.
All I'm trying to say, is how things should happen, AND
With reference to the OP, how they may be able to circumnavigate the reoccurrence of finding tenancies that stipulate no pets.

--------------
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  21:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niobe,
If you needed to rent, and moved on everytime you saw 'no pets, no DSS'
Unless you were lucky, Id say you'd be looking a long time, or found a property in such a bad state of repair that you wouldn't want to rent it anyway.

I understand your sentiment, but its hard to apply in the real world.

--------------
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  21:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see why it should be - maybe landlords need to be more understanding. I have to say if I'm ever in a position to rent out a property pets would be the least of my worries - I prefer animals to most humans!

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  21:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tracey,
Fair enough, but pets don't pay the rent.

Maybe tenants should be more understanding of their landlords and their expectations.
It works both ways.

Getting back to the OP, its about having a good working relationship.

--------------
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  21:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry but me and my pets come first. I would never get rid of them.

I can understand why landlords are reluctant to let houses to tenants if they have pets but surely something could be put in place to to safeguard both landlord and tenant.

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  21:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niobe,
The thing that's put in place is called a tenancy agreement.
Slip of the tongue but I'm sure you meant you, your other half, family then pets?
Because when push comes to shove, that's usually the order.

Whilst I understand your sentiment, it isn't helping the OP, which is what my comments are directed at.

--------------

Edited by - year 2029 on 06 July 2012 21:41:52
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  21:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hesitantly, I would also say its naive to say NEVER get rid of pets.

There's various circumstances where people have to get rid of them, and Id never judge somebody in those situations that had to.

--------------
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2012 :  22:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our house Harry comes first - whatever he needs he has and if that meant us going without then so be it. Originally we weren't going to have a honeymoon as I refuse to put him in a cattery but a friend is going to look after him.

I would sell everything I have and live in a tent before I rehomed him and I'm sorry but I do judge a lot of people who get rid of their pets - they aren't something to be discarded when the going gets tough. Only someone who loves animals would understand this though.

Apologies to the OP for drifting off topic but animals and their welfare is something I feel very strongly about.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page