Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for june
 Help please...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smoker
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2008 :  07:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone

Another person considering going bankrupt here.I have debts of around 22k. 20k to Lloyds TSB for a loan which i took out about 4 years ago and topped up again about 4 months ago.This was to pay for new items at the time for my council flat,holiday and HGV liecence and to consolidate credit cards etc.I owe Virgin cards about 3k and just recently have taken out £250 per day to pay someone off which i owe 2k for.Also i owe Argos £185.
I was laid off from my agency as a lorry driver recently due to a lack of work and have been signing on for about 15 weeks now.It all went down hill for me when the CSA caught up with me and left me £52 per week to live on while they assessed me no matter what i earned.This went on for about 6 weeks or more and i came close to losing my home as i couldn't pay the council there rent and the CSA said it could take up to 12 weeks to assess me.
I have no assets at all and no money to even pay to go bankrupt.My car is only worth about £500 which i need if the works picks up for the agency who i worked for a couple of years.My sofa is paid up but i brought it for £500 and a tv worth £300 and pc worth £500.I have a mobile phone contract which i renewned about five months ago.I need this as the agency tends to phone you for work as and when it arrives.I have virgin tv,phone and broadband package which is £50 per month which is my only saving grace.
Just rencently i've started to drink and dabble in drugs as i'm so ashamed im in this suituation and feel such a let down to my family and others that i'm comtemplating about going bankrupt.I never been so low in my life.I can't sleep probably and i can't even bring myself to see my dotcor who has known me and my family for many years.It has crossed my mind to end it all to save face and humilitation.Everything i've achieved in life is off my own back.Never had handouts or was born with a silver spoon in my mouth.I thought i brave it and come on here for some help..

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2008 :  09:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Smoker and Welcome

Well i can help you, but firstly dont feel ashamed and dont think you are the only one, as your not.

I would say looking at the amount of debt that you have that BR would be a good option for you.

The CSA debt wont get written of in BR but the others will, as for the taken finance out before like the refinancing of the loan as long as you have made payments to them pref a minimum of 3 then the OR will look on this a bit more favourably.

In order to find the fees most people stop paying any debts obviously you still have to pay the CSA but save for the fees that way.

You can fill in the forms on line and you would also need to contact your local court to find out what there procedure is for booking in etc. You may also be entitled to a reduction in the fee if you are certain benefits. Again as at the court when you call them.

We are all here for you, no matter what, if you want to speak to someone then please do give us a call the number is 0800 078 9367 and we will endeavour to guide you through your best options.

Take Care

Jo x

Please visit my blog for info on how I got here and other information to guide you through from my experience called:

"Needafriends Links and added info on Bankruptcy!" available to view at:

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

smoker
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2008 :  11:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.I'm not quite in arrears yet with my loans and card but with be at the end of the month.My loan is £350 per month and if i go back to work the CSA want £107 per week.That includes arrears.Thats not to mention rent,council tax etc etc.Then i have the job center hasseling me to take jobs for £5.50 per hour when my debts are around £1000.I've tried to explain this to them that i need to be earning alot more then this.Don't get me wrong i hate being out of work and can't wait to get back into lorry driving again as i've only held my liecence for just over a year.
If i do go bankrupt do i have to declare my Argos card? I can afford to pay that back.
When i go to my local county court to pick up forms and have a chat,how long is the process?
What happens to my giro if they freeze my account?
Can i still get a bank account which allows direct debits?
Are banks and credit card companies insured against bankruptcy? I feel so mean about it?
How comes XL continued to take peoples money right up untill they went under? Thats fraud surely?

Cracking blog you have wrote and a refreashing read.Well done.
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2008 :  12:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Smoker

I will try and answer your questions as you have put them down.

Yes you have to declare your agros card, sorry. If you carry on paying that after you declare BR then thats classed as preferential treatment which is a no no.

Just call your court you dont need to pop in you just need to know about what you should do about making an appt to go BR, also about any reductions you may be able to get as your on benefits. When you know how long it is before you can declare BR then you can work that way forward, you see some courts you can just turn up others you make an appt.
If they freeze your account which will not be straight away you can have your benefits paid as a giro to you, which you can cash and pay into a new account once you have set it up, if you have an account which is not a creditor and is only a basic account no OD or cheque book etc then you may be able to keep it, but its down to the bank and not the OR with regards to banks.
You can open a Coop cashminder account, or Abbey Basic its just a case of shop around and see which will let you have an account as an undischarged BR.
You can still get accounts that do DD's etc the Coop do others you will need to look up on.
The banks are insured as far as i know, i had a lot more debt than you so i would not worry about them and how they deal with it, your the priority now. :-)
I cant comment on XL but i have answered your other questions, i hope this is of some help.

Like i have said the forms are available to be done online and also in my blog i have info about the benefits that allow you to get a redcution and also the application form, have a look at it, i think i put haveing trouble finding the fees.

Best of luck, oh and thanks for the comments on my blog, i aim to please :-)

Take Care

Jo x

Please visit my blog for info on how I got here and other information to guide you through from my experience called:

Go to Top of Page

Almost there

United Kingdom
288 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2008 :  16:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Smoker,
Please think about seeing your doctor, he may well be able to prescribe something just to help you get through this bad time, I know that tablets aren't the answer but they can help you to cope in the short term, and there is nothing to be ashamed of, you are not the only person to go through this.
Please keep posting, this is a brilliant forum and I am so glad I found it as I now don't feel that I am the only one facing BR, there are so many others in the same situation.
Good luck
Sandie
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2008 :  18:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Smoker, I'm glad you've found the forum and I hope you can find the help you need here.

Don't worry about your sofa, PC and TV, the OR isn't interested in normal household items. Your car should be safe as you need it to find work, but you may have to switch to Pay As You Go for your mobile - it depends whether your service provider is happy for you to stay as a customer, and whether the OR is OK for you to keep it.

Please don't be ashamed, and please don't do anything stupid - your life is worth far more than any money you might owe. Speak to your GP, they will be able to help you with how you're feeling, and the drink and drugs.

You haven't let anyone down, you've done a brave thing by facing up to your problems.

Good luck x

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

smoker
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2008 :  06:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know where i can get Counselling online? I'm not coping very well,infact it's all getting to much for me.My family think i'm handling it well which couldn't be further from the truth.I forgot to add i'm starting to spend money just to cheer myself up or block things out when infact it worries me more.My head is a mess and i'm not thinking straight.I'm starting to forget simple things and even driving my car is becoming a hazard.Being a 35 year old bloke i thought i could cope with issues like this.Jesus i'm so depressed at this moment.
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2008 :  08:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Smoker

Please please please dont do anything silly, your life is worth so much more.

I dont know of any places online unless you have a general search on counselling in for free, i have just looked their is this one you could have a look;
http://videobasedcounseling.com/

Otherwise i would def get to see your GP and ask for that extra help, by finding us and informing us of your worries that is step 1, you know you have to sort things out but we cant be there as such only online, you could also call us for advice and that has helped many people to work out there options and indeed put their minds at rest.
The number is free and they will call you back if you cant speak to them straight away, 0800 078 9367.
I do think though that you need to see a GP but also because things are so up in the air and you cant think straight with regards to your finances that is not helping either.
Firstly you need to know that you can get through this, we all have, that their is help in all shapes and forms for you and that you are not alone.
I hope that you give us a call and that the link may be of some help, failing that tomorrow call your GP and see what they may be able to offer you. :-)

Best of luck my friend.

Take Care

Jo x

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page