Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for april
 advice please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doodler
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 13 September 2009 :  21:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try not to waffle!

my partner when with previous partner entered into an IVA jointly with her - he gave her his wages, she didn't pay it.

they split up - he was in the process of having the agreement "halved" and was waiting for bank details so he could start paying. iva people didn't respond - time went on, it got left.

he met me - single mum with debts of my own but a good payer with good credit rating.

he moved in - started contact again with iva - made an offer - they wanted to phone but i said no as partner is a night driver and i cant deal with the phone calls etc - so correspondence needs to be by post or email - they didnt reply to that.

later they send in the post (addressed to MY home with his ex-partners and his name on the letter) that they were holding meeting with creditors. i wrote to them to get ex-partners name off my address.

later we get another letter saying iva has now failed.

Now...the first of the creditors has sent us a proposed notice of seizure of goods unless we pay in full in 7 days. Phoned them and they are horrible, wont accept our offer and want what we cant afford.

in the meantime we are trying to file for bankruptcy, we have the forms filled in but cannot get access to £510 for the fee.

in addition to all this - my own affairs are getting out of hand - all my credit limits are up to the hilt, a few times going over limits causing charges, juggling transfers between accounts to pay things, not getting all wages owed as employers keep mucking wages up which causes me to have to cancel direct debits etc only to have to find more money later. every week is a nightmare, but we cant extend overdrafts, cant get a loan to consolidate (he has the money, no credit rating - i have the credit rating, no money)

i've researched, pleaded, applied and i'm about ready to run away --how the hell do we get to the other side of this???

many thanks for any help x

gen

doodler
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 13 September 2009 :  21:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
me again!

i should mention that the first creditor is civil enforcement agent for council tax.

gen
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 14 September 2009 :  07:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Trying to get a consolidation loan is not a good option; take this from someone who had 3 consolidation loans and is now BR!

Financial experts always say that if people are considering a consolidation loan then they are already in serious financial difficulty and the loan normally makes it worse.

The majority of creditors will threaten BR but very few will actually follow-up due to the expense however the Council are a creditor who will follow-up so take their threats extremely seriously.

Are you paying any of your creditors? If so, stop and use this money to save for the BR fee.

You should also talk to someone about your problems and to decide a plan of action for getting out. The CAB, CCCS and National Debtline can all offer advice however they are extremely busy at the moment. Two companies that post here always have time to talk and are highly recommended:

Reviva UK: http://www.revivauk.com/
Jones Giles - http://www.jonesgiles.co.uk/

They both offer free advice and will only charge for services such as completing the BR paperwork, accompanying you to court, etc.
Go to Top of Page

doodler
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2009 :  20:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and thanks "gettingoutofdebt"

it's my partners bankruptcy that we are trying to find the fee for - this is the scary part trying to come up with the fee before his next creditor lands on the doorstep.

on my side however, i have done loads of research, reading and phoning various places for advice and the best option for me seems to be to go for a debt relief order - similar to bankruptcy but without the court hearing. i reach all the criteria for one, again there is a fee but at least it's only £90.

i have today been writing letters to my creditors asking them to hold, freeze my accounts for a temporary time and to freeze the interest - as you suggested, i'd use this to put towards his bankruptcy and my debt relief order fees.

we have also decided that we will both open a basic bank account just to have wages paid in, and then apply to all our utilities to send out paypoint cards rather than use direct debits, this we feel will give us more control.

i had a really bad panic attack over it all yesterday, the worry has just got to me - but today was another day and i've been able to look at it more objectively and i'm happy with the decisions we've made today. i just can't wait to have the £510 fee in our hands so we can finally make this bankruptcy appointment.

gen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page