Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 housing
 Agent won't rent to a bankrupt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Widge

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2011 :  12:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
My current landlords have given us notice to leave because they need to sell the house. No other reason, they're quite happy with us as tenants and we have always paid the rent on time. They are happy to provide references to this effect.
However, now the house-hunting has begun, I see my bankruptcy as a major obstacle. I was declared bankrupt in March 2011 so even though my credit record was rubbish at the time of application for this property, they grantd metenancy prvided I paid 6 months rent in advance, which I did.
Now, I have to answer questions honestly, and on the phone to one agent this morning I was asked "Have you got and issues with poor credit". I answered honestly but did say I could provie positive reference from the current landlord. They just weren't interested and said quite bluntly that they CAN'T DO ANYTHING FOR ME AS I HAVE TO PASS THEIR CREDIT CHECK BEFORE I CAN RENT ANY OF THEIR PROPERTIES" They would not consider a bankrupt.
I have a job with a regular income and can afford to pay my rent.
I've only just started looking and so far no agents have asked me this question and I certainly wouldn't volunteer it.
Am I going to get knocked back like this with them all? I deserately need to find somewhere to live and if they all treat me like financial scum (which I'm not) then what hope do I have?
I've realisticaly got about a month to find somewhere as we have to vacate our current property by 26th November.
I would appreciate ANY advice PLEASE!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Widge xxx

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2011 :  13:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Widge,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with finding a new place to rent. I was in a similar position only recently and after trawling many letting agents, I found that most were sympathetic to bankrupts. One or two turned their noses up, but that was their loss. I don't know whether it had an effect on whether I got accepted or not, but I have been discharged for over a year now, but the bankruptcy is still on my credit file and will be for another 5 years, so it shouldn't make any difference whether you are still bankrupt or discharged. At the initial stage with the letting agents, I did say that I would be able to provide a guarantor (rather than the ridiculous 6 months deposit they otherwise ask for) and this was fine. However, a week or so later the agents came back to us and said everything was fine and there was no need for a guarantor. Not sure what happened and why they didn't insist on a guarantor, but I wasn't going to ask questions. I was surprised and very pleased anyway. Like you, I also had a very good relationship with my previous landlord, so maybe he provided a great reference, I don't know. Basically I would advise you to go around several agents and be upfront and tell them about your bankruptcy as the first question. Then you will know what their position is rather than jumping through hoops and answering lots of questions only to find out they can't help you as you are bankrupt. Personally I think most letting agents have now changed their opinions regarding bankruptcy and it is not quite as difficult as it was a few years back.

Let me know if you need any further advice and I will try my best to help you. I do understand what you are going through and the stress of it all, believe me.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2011 :  15:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
find small indi letting agents they are more flexible and willing to help.

we talked about guarantors, paying 6 months up front, donating my first born etc etc.

The local council in certain circumstances will stand as guarantor. The council will advise who are the agents they are prepared to work with

IN the end my rental agreement was too complex so we forgot about guarantor, 6 months in advanced and settled for 2 months in advance, with one month being returned to me after the end of the first 6 month contract

yes you will have obstacles but they are not insumountable

Good Luck Richard,
Go to Top of Page

Widge

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2011 :  17:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your continued support. We went house hunting yesterday and found the perfect property to rent. They have to do a credit reference. My partner is fine as he has no adverse credit, but me, well!!!! I did say this to the letting agent (my credit report would be rubbish, but didn't mention the bankruptcy) and he seemed to be confident that there would be a way around it. Of course I have had to be honest and tick the box on the form and provide further details. This is what I wrote:

HomeLet - Additional detail regarding adverse credit history

Following my divorce from Mr XXXXXX in 2009, I was left in debt that I could not realistically repay having subsequently been made redundant from my full time employment.

I have since found alternative employment with Waitrose, albeit at a quarter of the salary. As a consequence, in March 2011 I applied for, and was granted, a Bankruptcy Order from XXXXX County Court.

My estate has been handed over to my Trustee (contact details below).

A Court Order confirms that Mr XXX is entirely responsible for the two mortgages that I shared with him and I am now free of any debt.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2011 :  18:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed widge!

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

Propertyguide
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2011 :  21:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Sorry to learn about your problems.

You must be honest - if you are asked have you been bankrupt, you must tell the truth. To lie is a criminal offence.

Be open to the agents and say you are BR, but that you will be happy to have a guarantor.

Also try private landlords - they are only likely to want a work reference etc

Good luck, Propertyguide

"There are no problems, only solutions"
Go to Top of Page

Widge

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2011 :  17:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update time!

It's been a struggle being honest but it certainly sorts out the Agents who I no longer have any time for!

I find some are much more understanding and willing to help. We found a place we wanted to rent but the referencing process revealed a very low credit score for me and they wanted a guarator. HOWEVER, we were very lucky that we met the landlords, who seemed to like us and actually live on site anyway (its a converted barn on a farm). They are willing to take me on without a guarantor. WOW! What a relief!!! A great ending to several weeks of Hell.

I was given a bottle of expensive Champagne for my birthday back in April, but never had the right occasion to celebrate. The bottle is now cooling and I'm going to flippin' celebrate!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of your support,

Widge xxx
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2011 :  17:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Widge, that's really good news. Enjoy the champagne!

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2011 :  19:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news Widge, enjoy the bubbly!

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2011 :  22:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent news Widge!! Congratulations.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright