Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Success stories
 Credit card
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mistake09
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 03 July 2014 :  13:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, not posted on here for ages, just applied for a vanquis credit card and got accepted!!!! time to start re-building my life I think, I was discharged from my BR in jan 2010 but its not gone off my record til jan 2015, nearly there though now :-). The funny thing is my family are really concerned about me wanting a credit card, they seem to forget what I went through and will not be getting into that mess again, this is solely to re-build credit to hopefully start to think about my own house again in years to come, for the people who have been on here years Im still in the camper van most nights and still smiling, BR at the time seemed terrible but once it was over with it was a blessing tbh, I hope you're all well and not letting life drag you down too much, take care everyone.

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 03 July 2014 :  13:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent news! Let's hope your credit score rebuilds quickly.

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 04 July 2014 :  07:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry2

230 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2014 :  17:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started off with a limit of £250 on my vanqius card. I use it for a few things a month and pay it off at the end of it. On the odd occasion I have also let it run over on small amounts per month. I pay between £3-£4 interest when I do that. It's certainly having a good effect on my credit rating on Noodle I have gone from a 1/5 to a 3/5 in just 6 months and had an increase already to £750

I'd recommend them without a doubt until you can get a mainstream provider. That said with Vanquis the APR comes down as the limit comes up and I believe many people stick with them as the max limit of £3000 has a competitive APR as there is no longer a risk in their minds.
Go to Top of Page

johns

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 20 July 2014 :  22:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news vanquis are a good company after 3 years I have a limit of £3000
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry2

230 Posts

Posted - 21 July 2014 :  23:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just out of interest Johns what's the Annual APR on £3000?
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry2

230 Posts

Posted - 12 August 2014 :  22:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They sure are good at rewarding. I paid my whole bill for 4 months after my last increase. I let it tick over 1 month and only paid half the balance on the card (£50) and a day later boom! Increase to £1500 coming October.

Happy days!
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2014 :  07:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful that you don't end up on the slippery slope again!

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

Go to Top of Page

pcoventry2

230 Posts

Posted - 14 August 2014 :  18:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will remember that.

I spend at best £100 a month on it - if they take it from me I will move cards - as it's doing my credit no end of good :)
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 14 August 2014 :  19:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure you pay off the full amount each month - the interest will be a lot on Vanquis.

Go to Top of Page

pcoventry2

230 Posts

Posted - 15 August 2014 :  23:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Niobe,

I hear ya. However for 6 months I did just this and nothing happened. It's 3.4% per month so not that bad. People forget the 59% thing is annual.

Anyway I did pay it off very month and then I ran up a bill of £70. so to test it (and because it's not a lot) I paid half of it. I then waited a few days and then found out that they have removed the 1 payment per month restriction which I encountered on my first month. I then payed the rest off.

It was in between me paying half and the rest I got the e-mail about the increase. It said that if I only paid the minimum next month I would pay £7.48 next month. Not sure if that is the whole payment or just the interest but taking the latter to be the worst case then that's not bad really.

There are many reviews of people not getting anything limit increase wise until they have let it roll over a month which is understandable. I guess I have been lucky, I have been £20 in credit with vanquis and I've been told usually they terminate the account based on that alone.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2014 :  09:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My initial credit limit with Vanquis was £250 and, by the time I closed the account, it was £2500. It was increased regularly despite me paying off the balance in full each month.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

The more I have to do with humans the more I think that the world would be a better place if it was run by animals.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010. I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry2

230 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2014 :  21:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only seem to get a limit trigger when I spend a little bit in interest. I will not from now on and see what happens.

Interesting though.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2014 :  22:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vanquis is not something I will be looking at - I'll get hubby to put me on his Barclaycard!

Go to Top of Page

pcoventry2

230 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2014 :  16:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well at the rate I am going I won't be far off getting one sorted out.

I know any card company can take a limit away if it's not used and I am not sure if that goes against your credit rating but I'm not going to get into a monthly debt just for the sake of a rise.

Like Skippy said - pay it off every month and hope for the best.

But in regards to that I just had my latest statement. I put 100 quid on and paid £55 off - this month I was charged £3.14 interest, I've just put it to £0 again Not a bad experiment to see how it all works, which you never know until you try.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2014 :  17:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've actually applied for a Barclaycard using their form whereby it doesn't leave a footprint on your record and despite mine being clean now I was refused.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page