Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 2007 postings.
 Bank accounts for those previously bankrupt?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kazy

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 14 April 2008 :  23:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went bankrupt voluntarily on 8th June 2005 and was discharged from bankruptcy on 8th June 2006
I have a Co-operative Cashminder Account but the Cooperative bank have messed up my account so many times now that I cannot take anymore of their incompetence.I went bankrupt after my ex partner ran up all manner of debts using my bank cards, credit cards and catalogues which I was seriously ill and not expected to live, with Cancer. When I did survive and came out of hospital my ex-partner had all of my mail re-directed to his address 150 miles away and then soon after he disappeared.
By the time I was fit to work again and found work and started to want to use my banking facilities again, I found out that I was thousands of pounds in debt to them, and naturally I questioned this, but they had put me into the hands of debt collection agencies and the debts had been sold on and sold on. I was told to go for advice to the CAB and I did this but they made things worse.
Finally I found Direct Debtline who seemed to be more clued up but the debt collection people refused to deal with me via them, and so the debts mounted up as I was unable to pay them.
Finally a friend of mine took me to an accountant who advised bankruptcy and reluctantly I took that path.
But now I am just trying to get ban on my feet and have a mortgage, but the Cooperative Bank keep messing up and my mortgage payments have been paid late or not at all, and I desperately need a more reliable account.
Sadly my ex-partner messed up my accounts with Nat West, Barclays, HSBC and TSB and they were owed a lot of money when I went bankrupt.
Are there any banks I could go to for an account now?

melanie_giles

1191 Posts

Posted - 15 April 2008 :  00:15:06  Show Profile  Visit melanie_giles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Kazy and welcome to the forum

That is the first time I have seen anyone complaining about the Co-op as they usually get lots of praise as being one of the only banks who will give insolvent individuals accounts. I can only suggest that you shop around to get a better deal - perhaps the Nationwide might be a good start.

For an informal chat about any financial difficulties, or advice as to the options available, I can be contacted via my website - www.melaniegiles.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page