Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 bailiffs
 Help on Bankruptcy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sirlancelot
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  20:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I need some serious help please folks :(

I split with my partner recently and left my job after she was having an affair with a work colleague (back ground proabbly needed to explain my situation).

We bought a house for 92,000 with £30,00 secured loan ontop. This was the start of our financial problems. I also ended up with a loan of 10K and a credit card of 1k. I also owe a phone bill of aprox £600 as I had all her family on my mobile bill.

The house has gone up for sale and without my acceptance she has agreed to sell it for 85k. From the 30,000 secured loan we had to pay £5,000 deposit on the house - the Mortgage remaining is 87k aprox.

I have a job with the nhs but ony for 3 months till November - so i cannot afford the monthly debts at all. To make matters worse my father passed away and my mother is struggling with her money due to reduced benefits.

My Ex partner is sending me the bill for the sale of the house which I have not agreed and also advised me I cannot bankrupt on the shortfall on the mortgage of around 2k.

I do wish to bankrupt as soon as possible. I have started to get court letters from the debtors etc and wish to get rid of as much debt as possible.

The house sale has only been agreed today and will take 4-6 weeks to complete. How would bankrupting impact the sale of the house prior to final completion?

Thanks
Paul

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  20:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Paul, first of all she cannot sell the property without your consent unless she gets a court order, she would also need the consent of the secured charges to sell for less than what is owed. Perhaps you shoud mention what is happening to them. Next bankruptcy would not stop the sale however all the debts left over would be included in the bankruptcy regardless of when the property is sold
Go to Top of Page

Dave Perkins
Starting Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 06 October 2009 :  14:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

You seem to be having a rough time of it at the moment. Your partner has advised that you can not bankrupt on the shortfall of the mortgage - you can. You need to ensure that the mortgage and secured loan details are included in the Statement Of Affairs documents when you go to court and that the Official Reciever is aware of the full circumstances. You need to advise both the mortgage and secured loan companies of the situation, and that you are likely to be unemployed from November onwards. As the mortgage is (I assume) what is known as 'joint and several liability' (which means that if one party can not pay, the other has to) if you are unable to pay towards the secured debt, then the lenders will pursue your partner. Therefore if you were to declare yourself bankrupt, you would have no further liability towards the property.

Good luck, hope things get better for you.

Dave Perkins

**Company details removed**

Edited by - Skippy on 06 October 2009 15:35:02
Go to Top of Page

sirlancelot
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 29 October 2009 :  18:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Your advice was spot on , my partner is now being pursude for all debts , I did try and warn ger but someone was telling her I was liable for everything as well.

thanks again , without your advice I wouldn;t have known what to do :)

paul
Go to Top of Page

kentmikey

61 Posts

Posted - 21 November 2009 :  12:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Proves what a great site this and it's sister site iva.co.uk is/are. Thanks to all involved.

Mikey
Go to Top of Page

mistake09
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 15 March 2011 :  15:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi paul, it also goes to show my theory, trust yourself, never others, hope your keeping well
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page